Paint 'Botticelli Shells'
Artist Sasha Compton will take you through a lino printing tutorial inspired by Botticelli and the wonderful seaside.
Note: Advise 15+ Due to Lino gouge - Important carve away from the body, please be careful with the gouge!
You will need the following supplies for this tutorial:
- Shell (or object)
- Pencil (HB)
- Tracing paper - A few sheets
- Masking tape
- Ruler (in case you want to measure)
- Soft Cut Lino (A4 size)
- Paper - Indian Khadi paper 320gsm or Lino printing paper if you want a less textured look
- Rubber Board (to work on - even better as latches on to the table)
- 5mm, 3mm, 1mm Lino Gouge
- 0.1mm Lino Gouge - This is Sasha’s favourite brand
- Lino Ink
- Printing Roller
- Mixing Tray/ Clear Plastic Sheet/ Glass
- Speedball Press/ Wooden Spoon
Sasha suggests the following art suppliers - Essdee for basic and Jackson's Art Supplies for higher quality. Links are attached below.
Younger Kids Option:
There is also an Essdee Ready Made Kit that uses materials like foam and a pencil for engraving that are safe / kid friendly. The process would then still be quite similar to my tutorial.
Potato Printing can be another fun thing to experiment in place of the Soft Cut Lino with but note that tracing paper isn't needed as the moisture from the potato won't allow the drawing to transfer in the same way, in the end you'll have a different aesthetic. Potato Printing is probably better for creating a repeat pattern.
These Bambini Art Sessions are free but we would love for you to donate whatever you can to our charity partner Place2Be who do brilliant work in helping to support children''s mental health in schools. You can donate here.
We’d love to see your works of art so tag us @bambinicollections and add #BambiniArtSessions
Thank you and we hope you enjoy this Art Session!
- Soft Cut Lino (A4 size) https://www.essdee.co.uk/lino/softcut-blocks/
- Paper - Indian Khadi paper 320gsm or Lino printing paper if you want a less textured look https://www.jacksonsart.com/fabriano-tiepolo-printmaking-paper-56x76cm-290gsm-white
- Rubber board (to work on) https://www.essdee.co.uk/product/bench-hook-300-x-400mm/ (even better as latches on to the table)
- 5mm, 3mm, 1 mm Lino gouge https://www.essdee.co.uk/product/lino-cutter-and-safety-hand-guard-set-5-cutters-styles-1-5/
- 0.1mm Lino gauge these are my fave brand https://www.jacksonsart.com/pfeil-linoleum-and-block-cutter-colin-blanchard-set-of-5-tools
- Lino Ink - Essedee https://www.essdee.co.uk/block-printing-ink/standard-block-printing-ink/
- Printing roller https://www.essdee.co.uk/rollers/standard-rollers/
- Mixing Tray/clear plastic sheet or glass https://www.essdee.co.uk/product/ink-tray-240-x-200mm/
- Speedball press/wooden spoon https://www.jacksonsart.com/speedball-baren or Amazon.